Eddie Hearn to Set off on Worldwide Search for a Venue for Anthony Joshua vs Tyson Fury
Eddie Hearn to jet off on worldwide search for a venue for Anthony Joshua vs Tyson Fury mega-fight using all the Middle East the early favourite as the promoter sets three-week deadline to finalise undisputed showdown.
Eddie Hearn will embark on a world tour this week in a bid to find a site for the showdown between Tyson Fury along with Anthony Joshua.
The heavyweight rivals signed contracts to your two-fight deal earlier this season, but the difficulties of where and if are still a substantial hurdle.
The Middle East remains the most likely destination owing to its capacity to cover the most lucrative site fees, together with operators from Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Dubai all in talks with Hearn. There is also interest from Singapore, China, the US plus a seventh chance of Wembley Stadium.
Eddie Hearn will embark upon a world tour in an effort to find a site for Fury vs Joshua.
The British heavyweight rivals signed contracts for the two-fight deal earlier this month.
Hearn and Fury’s promoter Bob Arum have put a three-week deadline on the research and attempts to nail down the specifics of a June or July fight will intensify in the coming week with all the Matchroom boss beginning a run of six meetings in four countries within six days from Sunday.
He said:’I am going to the Middle East, the Far East and America to fulfill folks. Approximately six meetings across four countries.
‘June and July in the Middle East are extremely warm so the majority of people would like it for a tiny bit later. But that’s not what’s on the desk.
‘We want two conflicts this year and also the first one will be in the summer. Both the conflicts and promoters have already signed. We’ve got three weeks to find a venue and decide a date and we are prepared to go.
‘Both the June and July are in play but the Saudis and the Middle East would favor the fight later in the year since it is so hot around. But the struggle is occurring in the summertime.’
There is some scepticism inside boxing over whether the fight will materialise in the planned timeframe, and indeed around what level of site fee can be generated from the present climate. It was seen if each individual’s battle handbag will reach the mooted degree of #100m.
While a Wembley fight looks extremely unlikely because of Covid limitations, Hearn says talks are ongoing with the authorities, though that avenue is contingent on being permitted a full house of 100,000 fans through the entire summer.
Hearn explained:’If Wembley will give us total capacity at the summertime then it comes back to play.
‘We’d take less cash but everybody would really like to do it. The fighters would love to perform it at Wembley but they do not want to just take half the money, or some 30–40 per cent cut.
‘There are some discussions happening with the government to determine whether that’s an alternative. And, if that’s an alternative, that will be introduced to the fighters too.’